On 20 March I spoke, together with Adam Bandt MP, at a forum in Melbourne on Global warming, Tony Abbott and the need for climate action.
The second half of my presentation was on how to turn the tide, looking at the "middle third" in recent polling and Tony Abbott's and his government's vulnerability on climate, and what they are desperate to not talk about:
- More and more intense extreme weather events (exemplified by their silence on the spring 2013 fires, and record January 2014 heat);
- A public conversation that "connects the dots" between extreme events and climate change, and which gives immediacy to the perception of climate impacts;
- Constructing a climate narrative about human climate impacts, rather than electricity prices and taxes;
- Public focus on the responsibility of political leaders to "protect the people" from climate change; and
- Close attention being paid to the efficacy of their "direct action" climate plan.